Fieldnotes: Digital Resources

A permanent list of digital resources in archaeology and related fields.

See also: Directory of Graduate Programs in the United States and Canada

The Sanctuary of Poseidon on the Isthmus of Corinth became the major extramural shrine of the Corinthians, their most important religious foundation outside the city. It was one of four sanctuaries where Greeks from all parts of the Mediterranean came to compete in pan-Hellenic games. Oscar Broneer discovered the temple of Poseidon in 1952 and until 1967 conducted systematic excavations of the central plateau that contained the temple, altar, surrounding buildings, and a Roman hero shrine. He also cleared the theater, two caves used for dining, and two stadia for the Isthmian Games. In 1976, Elizabeth Gebhard succeeded Broneer as director of the University of Chicago Excavations at Isthmia. Efforts have been directed towards the final publication and conservation of objects recovered in Broneer’s excavations. In 1967, Paul A. Clement of University of California at Los Angeles undertook excavations in the Roman Bath and in the late antique fortress called the Hexamilion. After his death, he was succeeded in 1987 by Timothy Gregory of Ohio State University.
Excavations at Tilmen Hoyuk took place between 1959 and 2005. 
In 1988, after a hiatus of 50 years, the excavations at Troy were once again resumed under the direction of Dr. Manfred Korfmann from the University of Tübingen, with the cooperation of Dr. Brian Rose from the Department of Classics at the University of Cincinnati. Every summer since then a large international group, composed of archaeologists as well as representatives of many other academic disciplines, has conducted excavations.
The Upper Tigris Archaeological Research Project (UTARP) was a multi-year archaeological excavation and survey project in the Upper Tigris River Valley of southeastern Anatolia.
The Villa Magna Project aims at the investigation by excavation and survey of a large imperial Roman villa known from letters of Marcus Aurelius and its estate, and the subsequent life of the site, its fortification in late antiquity and the creation of a monastery among the ruins in the 10th century. 
Yeronisos, or "Sacred Island", is 12,000 square meters of calcareous rock rising dramatically from the swelling seas just off the coast of western Cyprus. Since 1990 it has been the extraordinary setting for a total island study undertaken by Professor Joan Breton Connelly and the Yeronisos Island Expedition for New York University. The project pioneers the integration of ecological and archaeological fieldwork toward the common goal of preserving natural and cultural resources.
The Neubauer Expedition to Zincirli is an archaeological project of the University of Chicago’s Oriental Institute. 
Each summer, a research team of twenty-five to thirty archaeologists have worked at Ziyaret Tepe conducting excavations, geophysical surveys, artifact conservation, and specialist studies. Extensive preliminary reports of our work have been published regularly and many specialist studies are also available for scholars studying the ancient Near East in general, and the Assyrians in particular.