Irish Archaeology Field School
Blackfriary burials
Irish Archaeology Field School

Location: Co. Meath, Ireland

Season Dates: May 12, 2014 - August 15, 2014
Session Dates: Introduction to Field Archaeology and Advanced Methods in Field Archaeology from 12th May to the 15th August ; Bioarchaeology start dates: Monday June 23rd, Monday July 7th and Monday July 21st
Application Deadline: April 25, 2014

Website: http://www.iafs.ie

Discount for AIA members: 10%

Program Type
Field school

Project Director: Finola O’Carroll, CRDS Ltd

Project Description

The Irish Archaeology Field School: university accredited, site based archaeological research and training. 

The Irish Archaeological Field School 2014 research programme will focus on archaeological excavations in Co. Meath, Ireland, from 12th May to 15th August 2014. Courses include Introduction to Field Archaeology, Advanced Methods in Field Archaeology and Introduction to Bioarchaeology

.

Black Friary (Trim): 12th May to 15th August 2014
The Black or Dominican Friary at Trim was founded by Geoffrey de Geneville, Lord of Trim, in 1263. The Dominican order had arrived relatively late into Ireland (1224) and founded religious houses in Irish medieval towns in the thirteenth century.  Due to their relatively late arrival and the nature of their ministry they were primarily granted sites outside towns.  The friary was of considerable importance and was the location for a meeting of Irish bishops which took place in 1291 and indicates the status of the institution. 

2014 will be the fifth field season at the Black Friary. 

Who is this for? Students of archaeology, anthropology, bio-archaeology, forensic archaeology and forensics.

Period(s) of Occupation: Multi-period

Project Size: 1-24 participants

Minimum Length of Stay for Volunteers: 2 weeks

Minimum Age: 18

Experience Required: No experienced required for student places

Room and Board Arrangements

Local accommodation providers - contact IAFS for details - options include home stay and shared accommodation

Cost: PLEASE CONTACT FOR 2014 rates, (2 weeks fees = €1150)

Academic Credit
Number of credits offered: none
Tuition: see www.iafs.ie

Contact Information
Irish Archaeological Field School
Unit 4A Dundrum Business Park
Dublin, 14
Dublin
info@iafs.ie
Phone: +35312968190

Recommended Bibliography

Bibliography for references for:

Field Work:

  • Museum of London 1990, Archaeological Site Manual, 2nd Ed., Museum of London London [ISBN:978-0904818406]

Bio-archaeology:

  • White, T. D. and Folkens, P. A. 2005, The Human Bone Manual, 1st Ed., Academic Press New York [ISBN 978-0120884674]
  • Buikstra, J. E. and Ubelaker, D. H. 1994, Standards for Data Collection from Human Skeletal Remains, 1st Ed., Arkansas Archaeological Survey Fayetteville [ISBN 978-1563490750]
  • Mays, S. 2010, Archaeology of Human Bones, 2nd Ed., Routledge London [ISBN 978-0415480918]
  • Roberts, C. and Manchester, K. 2007, The Archaeology of Disease, 3rd Ed., Cornell University Press Ithaca [ISBN 978-0801473883]
  • Agarwal, S. C. and Glencross, B. A. (eds.) 2011, Social Bioarchaeology, 1st Ed., Blackwell Oxford [ISBN 978-1444337679]
  • Parker Pearson, M. 2000 Archaeology of Death and Burial, 1st Ed., Texas A&M University Press College Station [ISBN 978-1585440993]

Blackfriary:

2010 Report: http://blackfriary.wordpress.com/2011/05/17/blackfriary-2010-season-report/

  • Bradley, J. 1985. Planned Anglo-Norman towns in Ireland. In Clarke, H. and Simms, A. (eds) ‘The Corporate History of the Urban Origins in non-Roman Europe’. British Archaeological Report. Oxford. 411-487.
  • Bradley, J., 1986. Urban Archaeological Survey of Trim, Co. Meath. Unpublished
  • Archaeological Survey Report 1986.
  • Barry, T.B. 1983. Anglo-Norman ringwork castles. In Reeves-Smyth, T. and Hammond, F. (eds) ‘Landscape archaeology in Ireland. British Archaeological Report Ser. 16. Oxford. 295-314.
  • Bradley, J. 1989. The Medieval towns of County Meath. Ríocht Na Mídhe Vol. 8, No. 2. 30-49.
  • Brady, J. 1961. Anglo-Norman Meath. Ríocht Na Mídhe Vol. 2. 38-45.
  • Butler, R. 1854. Some notes on the Castle of Trim. 3rd Edition. Trim.
  • Byrne, Francis, J. A note on Trim and Sletty in Peritia Vo. 3. pg 316-319.
  • Conwell, E.A. 1878. A Ramble around Trim amongst its ruins and antiquities and short notices of its celebrated characters from the earliest period. M.M. Gill and Son. Dublin.
  • Cogan,J. 1867. History of the diocese of Meath Vol. 2. Dublin. 
  • Eogan, G., 1994.  The Accomplished Art, Gold and Gold working in Britain and Ireland during the Bronze Age.  Dublin.
  • Ellison, C.C. 1972. Bishop Doppings Visitation book 1682-1685. Ríocht Na Midhe 5, No. 1. 28-39.
  • Fallon, Donal 2003. Pre-Development Testing Report on the site of the proposed extension Trim Credit Union, Market St  and Emmet St. Trim, Co. Meath. Unpublished excavation report.
  • Fenning, H. 1962. The Dominicans of Trim 1713-1833. Ríocht Na Midhe  2, No. 4. 21-32.
  • Graham, B. 1974. Medieval settlements in County Meath. Ríocht Na Midhe 5, No. 3. 40-59.
  • Graham, B. 1976. The evolution of the settlement pattern of Anglo-Norman EastMeath. In A. Simms, ‘Fields, Farms and Settlement in Europe’.
  • Gwynn, A. and Hadcock, R.N. 1970. Medieval Houses in Ireland. London.
  • Harbison, P. 1970. Guide to the national monuments of Ireland. Dublin.
  • Hayes, J. 1965. Manuscript sources for the history of Irish Civilisation. Vol. 8. Hall and Co.: Boston.
  • Hayes, J. 1970. Sources for the History of Irish Civilisation. Articles in Irish Periodicals. Vol. 9. Hall and Co.: Boston.
  • Herity, M. (ed). 2001. Ordnance Survey letters Meath: Letters containing information relative to the antiquities of the county of Meath collected during the progress of the Ordnance survey in 1836. Four Masters Press. Dublin.
  • Hennessy, M. 2004. Trim; Irish Historic Towns Atlas, No. 14. Royal Irish Academy, Dublin.
  • Irish Record Commission. 1880. Irish Patent Rolls of James I. Dublin.
  • The Irish Stone Axe Project Database.  Department of Archaeology: University College Dublin.
  • Kenny, Michael. 1994. Silver coins of Charles I (1625-49), found at Scurlockstown, Trim. Ríocht Na Mídhe Vol. 9, No. 1. 22-24.
  • Lee, G.A., 1966/7. Journal of the Kildare Archaeological Society 14 II, 146.
  • Lewis, S.  1837.  A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland. London.
  • McNeill, C. 1932 (ed). Registrum de Kilmainham. Dublin.
  • Miller, Amos, C. 1973. Sir Richard Grenville, governor of Trim, career and character of an Irish character in Ireland 1642-3. Vol. 5, No. 1. 63-84.
  • O’ Carroll, F.  2003. Unpublished excavation report,  03E1484, Castle St., Trim.
  • Orpen, G.K. 1892 (ed). The song of Dermot and the Earl. Oxford.
  • Potterton, M. 2005. Medieval Trim, History and Archaeology Four Courts Press, Dublin.
  • Potterton M & Seaver M (eds.) 2009. Uncovering Medieval Trim. Four Courts Press. Dublin
  • Quane, M. Meath diocesan school. Ríocht Na Midhe 5, No. 1. 40-59.
  • Raftery, B., 1983.  A catalogue of Irish Iron Age antiquities.  Marburg; 1983.
  • Roe, H.H. 1968. Medieval forts of Meath. Meath Archaeological and Historical Society.
  • Sites and Monuments Record.  National Monuments Division:  Dúchas.
  • Sweetman, P.D. 1978. Archaeological excavations at Trim Castle, Co. Meath 1971-74. Proceedings of the Royal Irish Academy 78C. 127-138.
  • Sweetman, P.D. 1974. Trim Castle and excavations a preliminary report. Ríocht Na Midhe 5, No. 4. 48-77.
  • White, N.B. 1943. Extents of Irish Monastic possessions 1540-41. Dublin.

Javascript is required to view this map.

Unearth an Adventure

Dig Deeper

Email the AIA
Subscribe to the AIA e-Update

Sign Up!