Donald R. Laing, Jr. Lectureship of the Cleveland Archaeological Society
A special lecture in honor of the Cleveland Archaeological Society has been established by the Archaeological Institute of America. The Cleveland Archaeological Society, chartered in 1895, is one of the AIA’s oldest local societies. For more than a century, the Cleveland Archaeological Society has provided continuous programming to the greater Cleveland, Ohio, community. Recent programs have included an innovative Field Archaeology Internship, funded by the Society, and offered in partnership with the Cleveland Museum of Natural History. The Society also videotapes each of its lectures and makes those tapes available to local high school and college teachers and to the Cleveland Museum of Art, thus multiplying the educational impact of the lectures.
The Cleveland Archaeological Society Lecture will be given annually on a topic of archaeological interest. The inaugural Cleveland Archaeological Society Lecture will be given at the Cleveland Society, but thereafter, the location of the lecture will change from year to year, and all of the AIA’s local Societies will be eligible to host the lecture.
The Cleveland Archaeological Society Lecture was generously endowed by Ms. Patricia Douthitt, longtime member and president of the Cleveland Archaeological Society.
Past Cleveland Archaeological Society Lecturers
2002/2003 Jonathan Kenoyer
The Stafford Civil War Sites in Virginia held its grand opening in April 2013.
The Site Preservation Program is funding the San Bartolo Mural Project thanks to a special gala pledge drive.
Read the Program's 2013 Annual Report to learn about its many activities this past year.