The Maryland Archaeological Conservation Laboratory
Deadline: January 15, 2014
The Maryland Archaeological Conservation (MAC) Laboratory is pleased to accept applications for its second year of the Gloria S. King Research Fellowship in Archaeology. The MAC Lab is an archaeological research, conservation, and curation facility located at Jefferson Patterson Park & Museum, the State Museum of Archaeology, in southern Maryland. The MAC Lab serves as a clearinghouse for archaeological collections recovered from land-based and underwater projects conducted by State and Federal agencies and other researchers throughout Maryland and is currently home to 8 million artifacts representing over 12,000 years of human occupation in Maryland. All of these collections are available for research, education, and exhibit purposes to students, scholars, museum curators, and educators and the purpose of the fellowship is to encourage research in the collections.
Eligibility: Students, academics, or professionals (employees of the Maryland Historical Trust and St. Mary's College of Maryland are not eligible); any subject in Maryland archaeology; must use collections at the MAC Lab; must be in residence full time in the MAC Lab; must provide a presentation of research to museum staff members at the end of the fellowship.
Application process: A 1000 word proposal (no more than 4 typed pages, double-spaced) outlining the problem and the collections in the MAC Lab to be used, plus a CV plus a letter of recommendation.
Stipend: Stipend to be $500 a week, with a minimum two week stay and maximum 5 week stay. Stipend to be paid upon completion of fellowship for stay of two weeks; a fellowship of greater length will be paid in two installments: 50% at the midway point of the fellowship and 50% upon completion of fellowship. On-site housing may be available for fellows, dependent on scheduling of fellowship.
Gloria Shafer was born on January 6, 1931 in Baltimore, Maryland. She spent summers as a child on her family's farm near Chestertown, Maryland and attended Washington College. In 1955, she and her husband, George M. King, started a small excavating construction business in Anne Arundel County. She had a lifelong interest in Maryland history and archaeology and contributed funds and services to individuals and organizations supporting this interest. Mrs. King died on May 31, 2004 and this fellowship in her memory recognizes her many contributions to the preservation of the past.
Applications must be received at the address below by January 15th, 2014. Projects awarded a fellowship can begin as early as March 15th.
Please direct any questions to Patricia Samford at email@example.com and send application materials to:
Patricia Samford, Director
Maryland Archaeological Conservation Laboratory
Jefferson Patterson Park and Museum
10515 Mackall Road
St. Leonard, Maryland 20685