The purpose of the Fund is to assist students of archaeology to gain experience in the field, away from their home base and ideally abroad. Grants will be made toward travel and other expenses. Grants will not normally be made toward any work being submitted for an undergraduate or postgraduate degree. A total of £1,000 is available each year, with successful applicants receiving up to £500.
Applicants should also note that:
• Only undergraduates and first year post-graduates are eligible.
• A supervisor of recognised status and position must agree to supervise the grant if it is awarded. The name, address and a reference from the supervisor must be provided (see below). Your supervisor's reference must indicate agreement to be responsible for overseeing this work and comment on the quality and viability of your proposal and to demonstrate an assessment of any risks involved.
• The Committee will put weight on the reasons for the application, its viability (practical and financial) and preference will be given to those who have not already received grants from this fund.
• If you are awarded a grant you will be expected to submit a short report on your work.
• Grants should be taken up by 31 December of the year in which they are awarded.
• Your application must not exceed the form, plus one A4 sheet of supporting information if you wish; the font size should be no smaller than 10 point. Your application will be considered solely on the basis of the information you provide on your application form and accompanying sheet.
• Applications (4 copies) and references (4 copies) must be submitted by 15 January in the year of application. Late applications or those with late or missing references will not be considered. It is your responsibility to ensure your reference reaches the Society by the deadline. Applications available online.